Costumes seem to be a big deal at our house and take months of planning. The costume catalogs start showing up in Grandma's mail box by the end of July or early August. Ryan's mom and the kids begin looking through them and deciding what they want to be. Sometimes the costumes are ordered and sometimes we (Meaning Grandma does the sewing and I give my opinion and input) end up making them and by the first of October we usually have the costumes and are ready for all of the Halloween festivities.
This year was a little different, because last year about a week before Halloween the kids came up with the idea of going as the characters from the Disney Cartoon "Phineas and Ferb." This was a great idea however being the week before Halloween it was too late so I told them to remember the idea for next year. They all Happily celebrated Halloween in their chosen costumes and there was no mention of Phineas and Ferb costumes.
As usual in late July the catalogs started showing up and the kids began looking through them at all of the wonderful costumes. There were many that interested them and they were starting to get an idea of what they wanted. Then someone (I can't recall who) remembered the idea of Phineas and Ferb. As soon as it was mentioned they all dropped their other costume ideas and the decision was made. They are big fans of Phineas and Ferb and when it comes to Candice, Emily can relate.
Even though these were not costumes you could order from the catalogs I loved this idea, because it was perfect fit for our family, and the costumes seemed really simple. With the help of a couple of awesome Grandma's and a lot of looking around at a lot of different stores we were able to pull it off.
My mom was visiting for a couple of days and took on the job of the purple pants. I bought some fabric and a pajama pattern and my mom used her sewing skills to change the pattern. I know if I had attempted this they would not have turned out anywhere near this good. (did I mention I do not love sewing.)
The only white skirt I found that would work was a size 11, and we needed it to fit Emily, a size 0, and the Orange and cream striped shirt was long sleeved and we needed them to be short. Once again I was saved from sewing though. Ryan's mom happily took on the assignment of alterations and she did a great job.
To be honest the most difficult item to find was the red t-shirt. I thought that would be a no brainer, but apparently RED is not a fall color. After searching many stores (at least 5 + the DI) I remembered that Hobby Lobby sold t-shirts and the search was over.
So with the help of my great team here is
Phineas Ferb, and Candice
Even though it was a little more work, it was really fun to put together the kids costumes this year and have them turn out so well.
And What about Valerie
The kids really wanted her to be Perry the Platypus, and I know it would have been fun, but I wanted cute and girly so she is a......
U of U Cheerleader
To balance out all of the BYU spirit Grandpa has created in our home.
(Ryan and I need at least one kid on our team)

1 comment:
I think they look great! Josh cracks me, HE IS SMILING SO BIG! I prefer costumes that allow me to buy useful and practical outfits too.
Post a Comment