Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day

Going to Tooele for Memorial Day is not unusual for our family. Both Ryan and I have many Ancestors buried in the Tooele Cemetery.

This Memorial Day my Grandma invited us out to spend the day with her. Ryan had to work, but the kids and I went with my parents to Tooele.

The kids loved going to the cemetery and helping decorate the graves. My Ancestors are some of the first settlers of Tooele, so there is a lot of history for us there.


Before we left for the cemetery we cut some snowballs off of my Grandma's bushes. Valerie liked them and decided they were good to eat. At the cemetery she had to sit in the stroller while the graves were being decorated, because she thought all of the flowers looked tasty. She didn't like that very much. The next time I let her out she decided it was more fun to push the stroller around and forgot about the flowers.

After we had decorated my Great Grandparents graves the kids and I walked to the other end of the cemetery towards my Grandpa's grave. On our way I thought we would stop by Ryan's great aunt, Emily Joyce's grave. Emily was named after her. When we got there we found Ryan's parents there cleaning up and decorating the graves. The kids helped them and then took a break to play a little with grandpa. It was great to get to spend a little time with them too.


After the cemetery we spent the afternoon at my grandma's visiting with family . The perfect way to spend the day remembering the people we love.



3 comments:

Sarah said...

Don't you love the Tradition of visiting graves as a family for Memorial Day? I love it! Good 'ole Tooele!

Mike and Shelby said...

Those pictures of Valerie are so sweet! I am glad you had a great time for Memorial Day! Sorry Ryan had to work...but it's a JOB, right!?! He HAS A JOB!!! Yeah! (At least that is how we feel right now.) :)

Andy and Ellen Family said...

Wish we could have been there. Memorial day really isn't the same here without visiting all of the ancestors in Tooele!