Two summers ago we ended up getting Cryptosporidium from a public pool. For those of you who don't know what that is, imagine a bad flu that lasts about 1 to 2 weeks.......if your lucky. Because of the bug I avoided pools last summer like the plague. Emily has a friend with a pool so she did not suffer and the boys seemed happy enough just playing in the kiddie pool in our back yard.
This summer I decided to brave it again and I signed the kids up for swimming lessons. I asked Josh, who is 3, if I signed him up for lessons would he get in the pool? He smiled and said yes. I asked him how you get in a pool and he answered, "You go down the slide on the swing set." I then explained to him that swimming lessons were done at a big pool. He said I know mom and then continued to describe the kiddie pool we had last summer. Josh was too little to ever remember seeing a real pool and he did not understand. I decided to sign him up anyway and just see what happens.
The first day The kids were all excited. Emily is a fish and has always loved the water. 
Joe had a hard time last time he took lessons, but he loves swimming now. He was really excited because two of his friends signed up with him.
(Charlie, Ethan and Joe)
Joe had a hard time last time he took lessons, but he loves swimming now. He was really excited because two of his friends signed up with him.
Josh was just excited because Joe and Emily were. Everyone got in the pool just fine and began their lessons. After about 5 minutes I heard Josh start crying for me. The lessons are at a school and the parents sit up in a balcony to watch, so I was not sure if he could even see me. I learned from Joe's lessons when he was 3, the best thing to do is not get involved. So I stayed where I was and watched.
Josh cried for me for most of his lesson, but he did everything his teacher asked him to, even jumping in from the side. After the lesson he was still upset, but he sat with me and watched the rest of Joe and Emily's lessons.
This morning Josh did not want to go. He told me he never wants to go to that pool ever again. With the help of Emily and Joe we talked him into trying it one more time. He said that he would as long as I did not go up the tall stairs and stayed down by the pool. I told him that I would, but that if he cried I would have to leave. He agreed and got ready.
I kept my word and sat in a chair on the pool level. Josh did great. He did not cry once and while the teacher was working with one of the other kids he started splashing a little with the girl next to him. He even smiled and looked like he was having fun. But every so often I would see his little blue goggles peak over the edge to make sure I was still there. 
On the way home I asked him if he was going to go to swimming lessons tomorrow. He excitedly said yes I like swimming! I am glad.
On the way home I asked him if he was going to go to swimming lessons tomorrow. He excitedly said yes I like swimming! I am glad.

5 comments:
Your kids are so brave. I was older when I took my lessons. That's neat that you can go to the same place at the same time for all the kids to get lessons.
They all look cute with their goggles.
Jenny
How fun that Joe is taking the lessons with some of his best little buds! And good for Josh for sticking it out till he liked it! Swimming is the best....minus any flu-like illnesses it may cause! :)
That looks so fun, I have been trying to find a place to Logan to take lessons.
swimming is fun trying to get Jaeden to swimn he claims he goes to the Golden Nugget pool wonder our pool is still empty because we are painting the outside of our house and redoing the patio We are in Bryce Canyon at the moment will be home Sundsy love Paul7Sharol
I am glad your kids are getting swim lessons in. I loathe doing them, but when they can swim and enjoy it I am so glad we did it.
I love that Josh was watching you so carefully.
Good for you for getting them there so early every day. Every cold day.
Post a Comment