Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Conversations With Joseph

Some of the best conversations I have with my kids happen as we drive around in the car running errands, driving to school or appointments, or just getting from one place to the next.

Joseph is now five and full of important questions as he tries to figure out life.


There have been a lot of baby questions lately because of the new baby on the way......Can a boy have a baby?......How does the baby get out......Can you loose weight when your pregnant? (I wasn't too excited about that one)

The last few weeks He has been focused on his future. On the way to school a few weeks ago he started asking me about "Adult School" So we talked about how after you finish 12 years of school then you move on to college. He then wanted to know the difference between kid school and college. I told him that in college you get to choose what you want to learn about. Then after you learn about it you use your college education to get the job you want to have when you are and adult. Like Dad went to Law school because he wanted to be a lawyer and my dad went to school to learn about being an accountant because he likes math. His other Grandpa went to school and took science classes so he could learn about plants and animals for his job, because that is what he likes.

I told him that there are lots of different jobs in the world and if you get good grades in "Kid School" then you can choose what kind of college you want to go to and learn about something that you like. That is where the conversation ended.

Then a few days later he got in the car after school and on the way home he started another conversation.

Joe: Mom I decided what I want to learn about when I go to college.

Me: What Joe.

Joe: I want to take science classes.

Me: There are lots of different kinds of science classes. There are ones where you learn about plants and animals, ones where you learn about medicine, some where you learn about space........Do you know what kind you want to learn about.

Joe: I want to take science classes so I can find dinosaur bones when I grow up.

Me: Oh that would be fun. That kind of scientist is called a paleontologist.

Joe: yea that is what I want to be.

I thought that was a good goal to have and pretty typical of a 5 year old boy. That was the end of this conversation for a while, until yesterday when we were driving to a doctors appointment. On the way we passed a fire station and of course Josh got all excited because it was not the normal station we drive pass.

Joe: Josh do you want to be a fireman when you grow up?

Josh: No I don't want to.

Joe: But Josh that is what you like.

Josh: No Joe I don't want to.

Me: (trying to stop this from turning into something bad) Joe what do you want to be when you grow up.

Joe: Mom I told you a palentogist.

Me: Oh a Paleontologist.

Joe: Yes, Do you know why I want to be a paleontologist?

Me: Why?

Joe: Because, I like dinosaurs, I like to find things, and I like to do puzzles. A paleontologist has to put together the dinosaur bones he finds to make the dinosaur just like a puzzle.

Me: (thinking to myself) "Wow, he really did think about this."

5 comments:

paulsharol said...

sounds like Jaeden who likes to play chess they are so full of knowledge and remember these are choice spirits thks Paul & Sharol

Laura said...

This is adorable! That Joe, I think is always analytical.

Tracy said...

That's really impressive. Joe would make a great paleontologist if that's what he choses to be. I love that picture of him. So sweet!

Mike and Shelby said...

I love this! What a great thought process he's got!

Alisa said...

Oh, that is great! So your two oldest want to study animals (Emily still wanting to be a vet?). Looks like a major science gene got through!