Monday, June 22, 2009

Emily the Entrepreneur

Last week we did a major clean out of the kids rooms and got them switched around to get ready for the new baby. While cleaning out Emily's room she decided that she wanted to sell some of the things she had in her D.I. bag. Her plan was to go door to door and try to sell the books she no longer wanted. She was making plans with a friend about how to sell them and all of the money they could make doing it.

Me being the dream wrecker that I am, told the girls that they could not go door to door selling things. However I did know that one of our neighbors, who happens to be Emily's activity day leader, was planning a Garage sale for that very weekend. So I called her and asked if Emily could come set up a little table and sell a few things. She was happy to have her.

Emily and I went through the things she was getting rid of from her room and picked out the best stuff. We priced them all out and put them in a box.

The day of the sale we headed to the neighbor's a little before 7:00am and set up Emily's table. She was really proud of all of her treasures and was sure that everything would be snatched up quickly.

People started coming. Emily tried to show them how great her things were. She would pet her robotic dog to make it bark and she was constantly rearranging her table so you could see what was on it. About halfway through the morning she had sold a few books, but had not sold any stuffed animals. She kept commenting that she couldn't believe no one had bought them. To her they were all treasures. The sale continued and she sold a few more things. A storm was coming in and around 11:00am it started raining hard enough that we packed it in for the day.

Emily ended up selling one stuffed animal and some of her books. She made a total of $4.00. (which was really good considering the items she sold were priced between 10 and 50 cents.) I think she probably would have sold more had it not been a rainy day, but she was really happy.

3 comments:

Mike and Shelby said...

WHAT A GREAT EXPERIENCE...GOOD THINKING, MOM! (STUFFED ANIMALS ARE ALWAYS HARD TO SELL)

paulsharol said...

jolly good show now thats great

T. McArthur said...

Congrats on her salesmanship!

I like that baby count down thing. How do you do it?