Like I said in a previous post one of Emily's home work assignments at the end of last year was to bake a cake. Since then she asked me quite frequently if she could bake one so I decided it was time to move on to other things, and Emily was excited to try.
We started with the simple things that are made from a box like mac and cheese. This is an essential skill for any girl who is interested in babysitting. She did really well the first time and even better on her 2nd try. She is now even more helpful at lunch time.
After she mastered the concept of following the directions on the back of the box we moved on to real recipes. (I know you are all thinking cookies) She has made us pancakes for breakfast and then for the ultimate test I had her make banana bread. That sounds simple but we had enough bananas that she had to double the recipe. I am happy to say that she did a beautiful job even with her helpers.
Her brothers are always hovering..... waiting to devour them.

5 comments:
love homemake banana bread
I was recently talking to someone who thought that cake baking assignment was a waste of time for their child. I couldn't have disagreed more! I think kids need to be doing things that encourage a variety of interests and obviously, Emily took on the interest! That's great! Good for her, and good for you for encouraging it. She'll be a great chef/baker/wife/mother one day because of it! I plan on having my kids-when they are older-have one night a week where they will be in charge of dinner...planning and making it. How else will they learn!?
...sorry did I get a little too carried away on my soapbox there?
So, Emily has moved on to "real recipes." I'm still making stuff out of a box, a can, or better yet, a frozen entree. Way to go Emily!
Good for her. I could only make mac & cheese when I got married. Luckily my mom swooped in to teach me somemore recipes so my husband wouldn't starve. Now I love to cook. It's great you are teaching her young. She will be a pro by the time she starts her own family. Very cute!
Good job! You keep reminding me of all the things I should be doing. Wink!
Post a Comment