Friday, October 9, 2009

When Emily Was Little............

She loved Superman.

Just before Emily turned two she discovered Superman. Ryan and I are not exactly sure where she learned of him, but she loved him.

When we went to Utah to visit Ryan's parents for her 2nd birthday, Grandma had a Superman outfit for her. Once Emily put it on, she would not take it off. We had to wash it at night while she was sleeping, so it was clean and ready for her to wear when she woke up.


This was no big deal until Sunday when we wanted to go to church. Ryan's parent's ward had one of the later starting times. So I let Emily wear the Superman outfit in the morning. I had bought her a new yellow dress and I thought that she would be excited enough to wear it that we would not have a problem. Boy was I wrong.




Everyone got ready for church and after I was dressed I brought out the dress for Emily. She started to scream and cry because she did not want to wear anything but Superman. For a minute I was tempted just to let her go in superman, but then I realized how bad this could be for me. So I continued to try to get her into the dress.


Ryan and his family all went to church without me, while stubborn little Emily and I fought over what she was going to wear.

I know I could have just forced her into the dress and made her go, but I also knew that if I did I wouldn't be able to go into the building anyway, because Emily could scream and she could throw fits for hours. (You know how they say you should just put your baby in the crib and let them cry it out. I tried that with Emily and three hours later she was still screaming at the top of her lungs. Of course I checked on her during the three hours.)

About 45 minutes after they left, somehow, we had come to a compromise. Emily put on the beautiful yellow dress and then she put on the red cape with it.

We got to church just in time to go to nursery. Ryan's family was a little surprised to see Emily in the dress, and there were many understanding smiles from people as they saw the red cape on her back.

I have to say that in the end I felt both triumphant and a little defeated in our battle. (and I admit I am a little sad I didn't take a picture.)
















A few months later my mom came to visit and made her these two great capes. And a week after that I found myself in the fabric store looking for some fabric for a cape to match her dress. So it wasn't as noticeable when she wore it to primary.




As I look through the pictures of Emily when she was two and three, there are many times when she wore her Superman shirt, and many more with capes.. I am not sure she ever really grew out of this stage. In fact if you looked in Emily's dresser today you will still find a pair of Superman Pajamas.

5 comments:

Jon said...

I didn't know that Emily had all these capes. I knew about Superman though. Jaxson is totally at this age, but he has issues with his shoes. I buy him new shoes and he won't wear them. I had to hide his old shoes last time so he couldn't find them. Oh! And you saw how Jaxson was about his church clothes. He loves his church shoes and ties. I DON'T KNOW WHERE THESE KIDS CAME FROM. Seriously!

-Jenny

Larissa said...

I totally remember that era. Those pictures bring back memories. Remember our weekly scrap booking and Hudson called it "crapbooking" even though he sat by us the whole time and cut little pieces of paper in tiny pieces. I don't think he meant it the way he said it. And, remember how he and Emily had silent slapping fights. And, Melanie and Emily calling him "husband!" Those were fun times.

Uncle Mummy said...

I have a theory of how she fell in love with Superman. Emily was a BIG fan of the disney movie Sleeping Beauty and the prince wore a red cape and looked similar to Superman.

Later when she saw Superman she thought it was the prince.

I remember her Grandma Lay trying to get her out of the Superman outfit at Alisa and Kevin's wedding reception. She finally succeeded after about an hour.

Becky said...

That is so funny, it is so crazy the little things our kids get into and we have no idea how. Those are some great pictures.

Mike and Shelby said...

I still have a pair of superman jammies that I wore when I was a toddler. Both my girls wore them, but they couldn't appreiciate what they were wearing...had no idea who Superman was nor did they care. That yellow dress is beautiful, but probably not as exciting as superman to a little one! That Emily is one funny character!