Friday, October 17, 2008

Garden After Dark

Going to the Red Bute Garden After Dark with Grandpa is one of the Halloween highlights for my kids.


We arrived a little early so we could get good parking and I was excited to see the fall leaves still on the trees. I tortured my kids and made them pose for pictures.









Once inside the fun began. The kids started out by painting their own faces.


Joe wanted spiders bats and witches on his face.


Emily drew a tiger face on herself,
and Josh just wanted to color on his own face with the crayons.


(I am going to have to keep the markers hidden for a while.) Each station had different things for the kids to do. There were a couple of crafts and a few stories. My favorite station had a Native American who told a story and as he told it he drew a picture in white sand using colored sand. This was all done by him pinching sand in his fingers and dropping it onto the sand. He was so good at it, you would think he was drawing with a pen. The story he told was the story of corn and how we grow in many of the same ways the corn does.




The picture is not not complete here, but I am glad I took a picture when I did. When he was finished he took his stick and wiped the picture away.

The highlight of the night was the Kareoke booth.


Joe and Josh sang the Ensy wensy spider together.




After they were done there were no other volenteers to sing, so the Dj asked the kids to volenteer their parents. Emily Imediatly rose her hand and volenteered Ryan. No one else rose their hand so Ryan was up for a solo. He didn't try to get out of it, but he did make Emily go up with him. Ryan did not want this posted on my blog, but that wouldn't be fair to Emily. Ryan says he didn't like this, but I have my doubts, and when you see the smile on his face you will have your doubts too. Emily loved singing with her dad and I think she will remember it forever.



>




At the end of the night we turned in our map with all of our stamps on it and as a prize we were given a cherry tree. I am not sure where we are going to plant it yet, but if you have any suggestions (including your yard) I will be happy to hear them.


4 comments:

Becky said...

I need to go take the kids, I did see the advertising for it by our dentist, but never looked into it more then that. what a great time.

Tracy said...

It looks like it was a lot of fun. The kids look so cute in their costumes!

Uncle Mummy said...

Wish I could have been there - did they have the song "Short People"? Ryan has missed his calling.

Mike and Shelby said...

That is a great tradition! I love traditions that include grandparents.

Love their costumes.