I will always remember the first time I met president Hinckley. The story still makes me laugh when I think about it.
When I was a senior in high school I was in a show choir. Each choir got to choose their own costumes and unfortunately I was in a group that didn't have much taste. Each girl had to go out and find a pattern and fabric samples. Then we all presented what we found and the group voted. The outfit was actually OK until we got to the pants and someone suggested striped pants. There were some of us who did not like the idea, but majority ruled. (Unfortunately the only picture I have of the outfit is at my parents house, so I can't post it right now.)
December 2004 our choir was able to go sing at the Church Administration building. We were excited because we were going to be able to sing for members of the first presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve. President Hunter was not in the office that day but both president Monson and Hinckley stopped by to listen to us sing. When President Hinckley came out of his office, with a smile on his face, he said something along the lines of, "Oh you came to sing to us in your pajamas."
Needless to say some of the girls were horrified. I thought it was kind of funny, and it gets funnier every time I think about it. He was gracious and after we were done thanked us for coming and said we sounded nice.
I loved president Hinkley and will miss him. He was a great prophet and had a great sense of humor.
8 years ago

3 comments:
That is a GREAT story, Hillary!
Seeing his picture all over the media since his passing has reminded me of how much love you feel by just looking at him!
I am looking forward to the future post of that picture! :)
I love that story. That's just what I love about him: his gentle good humor.
That story captures one of the reasons I loved him so much. Were the costumes as comfortable as pajamas?
Can't wait to see the picture!
Post a Comment