This year we celebrated the 4th with our new neighbors. For the last 6 years this street has had a block party on the 4th and we had been told for a few weeks how great it is and that we should plan on coming. So we decided to stay home this year and get to know the people we live by. We started off with a BBQ and then once the food was consumed the games began.
Ryan joined in the first game of Coke Russian Roulette.
He lost....but it turned out there was only one winner. 5 of the 6 bottles were rigged with a mento.
The kids had lots of games to play. There was water balloon pinata. This one was a big hit, I am still impressed they were able to get the prizes in the water balloons.
This game was see who can stand in the ice water the longest....Joe won.
Valerie did not like this game, but she didn't know she could get out so she just stood in it and cried. So I quickly snapped a picture and then told her she could get out if she didn't like it.
There were two watermelon eating contests. The first one I did not get pictures of, because it was the adult round and I was in it, but the second one was the kids.
Joe did a great job. He didn't win, but he came close. Valerie was just cute with her big piece of melon.
Then to finish off the games we had a water balloon toss that ended in a water balloon fight, because don't they all.
This was just funny to me.
The adults and the kids were all involved and Emily got her dad right in the back.
After the games everyone played and visited until the sun went down and then it was time for the fire works. Because of the fires recently and the really dry weather everyone was a little more cautious this year, but we still had a good show. This was a great way to get to know our neighbors a little better. I am grateful to the people who worked so hard to put it together.
I read on facebook the other day something about the children of the 80's being the last generation to play in the street. I had to laugh a little, because as I was reading it my kids were out riding their bikes and playing basketball in the street. While there are things we are adjusting to in our new area like everyone does when they move, there are things that I love already about living here, and all the kids running around outside is one of them.
I am grateful to live in a country where we are so blessed. Happy Independence Day!
P.S. Valerie was having so much fun at the party she kept referring to it as her July birthday party. I kind of wished I had baked a cake and wrapped her presents. I hoped that she was not going to be disappointed at the end of the night when there was no cake and presents. And I really hope she is not disappointed on her real birthday when her small party with just us is not quite so exciting. Maybe I better plan a couple of games. :)










No comments:
Post a Comment