This year is a big year for Emily. She is now in 7th grade and going to Middle School. So the unknown factor for us is huge. Needless to say we were both a little anxious.
Emily was very disappointed that she does not have any classes with her friend Tiana. In fact they might as well be going to different schools. They have different lunches and their lockers are on opposite ends of the school.
Last Wednesday (before school even started) we had back to school night. After the initial introduction to the school and it's programs and policies, we were sent on a run through of Emily's schedule. We were able to visit each class for 5 minutes in the order she had them on her schedule. So not only did we get to meet the teachers, but she was also able to see most of the other kids that would be in her class.
Then Friday they had 7th Grade orientation. The 7th graders went for half a day and learn the ropes of the school without the 8th and 9th graders there. So Monday they were ready to start. Emily has at least one person she knows in each of her classes. She is also very lucky that her friend Lindsey is in three of them and they have lunch together.
Then Friday they had 7th Grade orientation. The 7th graders went for half a day and learn the ropes of the school without the 8th and 9th graders there. So Monday they were ready to start. Emily has at least one person she knows in each of her classes. She is also very lucky that her friend Lindsey is in three of them and they have lunch together.
Emily was very disappointed that she does not have any classes with her friend Tiana. In fact they might as well be going to different schools. They have different lunches and their lockers are on opposite ends of the school. Emily's biggest struggle was getting her locker open, but by the end of orientation day she had it down. At the end of the first day Monday, Emily came out with a smile on her face. I think middle school is going to be okay. Emily seems to love it.
We walked up to school with his good friend Cooper. Cooper was also sad that they were not in the same class.
After School Joe was very happy with his first day. He realized he would still see his friends, and he likes his new teacher.
At the end of the year last year We had the chance to submit our first and second choice for teachers we wanted next year. For Emily I never did this and I was always happy with her teachers, but Joe is a different personality and I knew there was a teacher I did not want. As for the other two choices, I think I would have been happy with either one, but after many days of pondering which one to put first, I went ahead and requested the one I thought would push Joe a little more.
Wednesday the class lists were posted, and Joe got the teacher I requested. However, she was not the teacher Joe was hoping for. And to pour salt in his wound most of his friends were in the other two classes.
Having friends and being liked is a big deal for Joe, and to have a class without his friends was heart breaking. There were many tears shed that night.
I still had a few things to buy for school, so Friday I took Joe and Emily shopping to finish up. Joe was only interested in t-shirts with some kind of cool picture on it. We found some really fun ones. One was even a scratch and sniff. It smells like grapes. (I am not sure how long it will last.) That night I asked Joe if he was happy about his new clothes. He said, "Yes. They are very rare." Then a little quieter and to himself he said in an excited voice "popular!"
Monday Morning was the first day of School. Joe was feeling excited about school and told me he was not worried about his teacher. He still wished more of his friends were in his class, but it would be okay.
We walked up to school with his good friend Cooper. Cooper was also sad that they were not in the same class.
After School Joe was very happy with his first day. He realized he would still see his friends, and he likes his new teacher. Now that we have made it through the first day, I can happily say,
I think we are going to have a great year.



No comments:
Post a Comment