Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Apple Picking

My Grandma called to tell us the apples were ready for picking.

So Monday, we dropped Emily off at Girls Camp, and the other kids and I went to Tooele for the day.

When we got to Great Grandma's house we went right to work picking Apples.

The boys were really excited that we were going to get to eat the apples this time, since last time we just thinned the apples and had to throw everything we picked away.

Ryan was in court that day in Tooele, so when he was done, he stopped by to visit before heading into Salt Lake. I guess picking the apples looked fun, because he started helping.

Valerie did a good job helping too. She liked climbing on the ladder, but I didn't like that so much.

While we were picking my Grandma had to go to a Daughters of Utah Pioneers (DUP) meeting.

When we finished, the kids wanted to go inside and play. I told the boys we needed to clean up the messes we made and even leave it a little cleaner than it was when we came. Joe started his complaining that happens every time I mention cleaning. So I explained to him that when people get older their body hurts and it is harder for them to do things. (I need to mention that my grandma's house is never really dirty.)

He then said, "I can't wait until I'm old so people will come and do my work for me."

I told him that would only happen if he learns to work, and teaches his children to work too. Otherwise they wont know how to work for him.

When Grandma returned we visited for a while, and we can't go to Great Grandma's without seeing the horses.

The horses were happy to see us, because we brought them a treat.

It was really nice to get to visit with my Grandma. My kids really do love going to her house, and they love the kind of work they get to do there. (I don't think they realize picking apples is work.)

Every time we go I am reminded of how lucky my kids are to get to know my Grandma and have a relationship with her.

Now we are busy making yummy apple treats, like applesauce, pie filling and dried apples, so throughout the year we can remember our fun day at Grandma's picking apples.

No comments: