Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pioneer Day

A few days before Pioneer Day, the kids and I went to see the floats that were going to be in the parade.
We had never gone to the float showing before, but I think we will make this a new tradition.

The kids all got their face panted.

And there were clowns doing balloon animals.

Valerie asked for a dog and the boys each asked for a sword, so when he asked Emily what she wanted I suggested he surprise her. Emily was good with that, so he went to work. At first we were not sure what "animal" he had made, until he showed us how to use it.


He made her a good old fashion vacuum.

Admission to this event was free, but they ask you to vote for your favorite float. They wanted everyone to vote including the kids.

Valerie and I decided we would vote for this cute float (I didn't get a very good picture of it.) We loved the flowers. It also had cars on it, with spinning wheels.


I thought the kids would vote for this float,

But This was the float they voted for. They loved the steam coming out of the dragons mouth.

On Monday morning we watched the parade on TV, to see if our floats won. Because we saw most of the floats ahead of time, the parade was even more exciting for the kids. Every time a float came on they would talk about seeing it at the show. The float Valerie and I voted for won the Children's Choice award. The dragon did not win, but the kids were excited when it came by.

That evening Ryan's mom and dad came over for fireworks. Grandma, had us play a pioneer game while we waited for it to get dark. We clapped our hands in a pattern and when it was our turn we had to tell something we would put in our wagon. Then for the second version we played modern wagon. Everything you put in your wagon had to either plug in or run on a battery.

It's funny how much times have changed since the pioneers.


When we went out to light the fireworks, it was raining a little.

So Valerie made sure all of the chairs were set up nicely in the garage.

Even though there have been fireworks going off all over the neighborhood all month and Every time Valerie heard or saw one she would happily say "Oh look fireworks." When the fireworks started going off at our house, she decided that she didn't like them anymore. Sitting with Grandma made her feel a little better, but she would not go near the sparklers.

The rest of the kids had fun with them though.

We had a really great show, but with the rain it was a little harder to get the wicks lit so at one point Ryan in his usual pyro fashion got out my blow torch to light one. I guess I am a fun hater, because After he lit the firework I made him put it back away. I didn't want to have to make a trip down to the ER because a mortar went off in someone's face.

I am grateful for our pioneer heritage. They are such a great example to us. I don't know how I would do on a journey like their's, but in our game we played, my modern day wagon had a Durango in it.

Happy Pioneer Day!


1 comment:

Becky said...

We went to the float thing too, it was a lot of fun to see them close up. We had some rain with the fireworks too but nothing to bad.