Friday, July 8, 2011

Lagoon!

As a child my family used to go to Lagoon once a year on Stake Lagoon Day. It was something we looked forward to every summer. When I was eight my family moved to Farmington. I thought it was so neat to live right by Lagoon. At the time Lagoon gave the residence of Farmington a free entrance pass. So we still only went to ride the rides once or twice a year, but occasionally our family would go down and see a show or walk through pioneer village, and, (to let you know how old I really am.) We would go swimming at the Lagoon pool. My family was a little sad when they tore out the old pool and put in Lagoona Beach.

When we first moved there, I pictured myself going to Lagoon all the time when I was a teenager. I could even imagine myself working there. But when the time came to find a job, I was happy when I ended up working at the local grocery store instead. I had friends who worked at Lagoon and loved it, but by then working there did not appeal to me. I loved going and playing there. Not the entire summer like I thought I would. I still usually only went 2 or 3 times a year, but I never got sick of Lagoon. It always stayed fun.

When my kids ask to go to Lagoon I think I want to go as much as they do, but I have not been to Lagoon for five years. For some reason or other we just never made it to Lagoon the past few years. However my kids did go two summers ago. The day after I had Valerie, while I was in the hospital recovering, my parents took Emily, Joe and Josh to Lagoon with their cousins.

This summer my parents were planning to come for a visit and my mom and I talked about some fun things we could do while they were here, and Lagoon was put on the list, we just needed to try to find a deal. Jon came through on that and got us Stake Lagoon Day tickets.

When my kids found out we were going they were so excited and started talking about what rides they were going to ride. Thursday the kids and I went to Lagoon with my Parents, Jaxson, Jon and Jenny. (Baby Violet spent the day with her other Grandma, and Ryan had to work :( at his new job:)

The one ride that Emily wanted to make sure she went on was Wicked. That was her favorite the last time she went. So we decided we would go to that first. She had even talked Joe into riding it this year.

The line was not too bad, so we got in line and waited, and waited and waited. Then we realized that there were three people at the operating booth and one of them was on the phone. This is never a good sign. So we decided to head to another ride and come back. It was good that we did, because a few minutes later they shut wicked down for a little while.

The ride next to Wicked is Spider and the Fly. So the kids made that the first ride of the day.

You had to have an even number so Uncle Jon went with them. I rode this ride later in the day. It is a little crazy riding backward and spinning around while you go on a roller coaster. I could see why the kids like it.

While the older kids were waiting in line fore the roller coasters My parents took Jaxson and Valerie to kiddie land. I wondered if Valerie would get on the rides, but I forgot that Valerie is a dare devil.

She Loved it!

After Spider the boys joined us in kiddie land. (Emily and Jon headed off to more roller coasters.)


Joe tried to be brave at first, and say he was going to ride all of the big rides, but in the end I could tell he loved the kiddie land rides the most. This was really good, because Josh wanted to do what Joe was doing and he is not quite tall enough to do all of the big rides. But as brave as Joe was talking Josh was talking even braver. Even when Joe started admitting that he did not want to ride on Wicked Josh was telling us he did....convenient for him that he was not tall enough.

The boys favorite rides of the day ended up being two of the smaller roller coasters, The Bat and the new roller coaster Bombora. The boys loved them.

Around dinner time Valerie discovered her favorite ride of the park.......

Bulgy The Whale.
She road Bulgy so many times we lost track, but I am pretty sure it was more than 50. I put her on it seven times and then we went and had dinner. After dinner Emily and Joe wanted me to go ride a few rides with them, so Grandpa headed back to Bulgy with Valerie. She road it over and over again. They left for a few minutes to go potty or something and when my dad brought Valerie back to the ride he said the ride operator just laughed.

Odyssey was a hit with everyone. Joe and Josh had fun getting my mom and Jenny wet on this ride, and Valerie laughed every time the water sprayed her and Emily.

Because I had not been to Lagoon for so long, I was not sure if I would still like riding the roller coasters, or if I had gotten too old and would just get sick on the rides. So when Emily asked me to go on Colossus with her I was willing, but unsure..........

I still love roller coasters. We road it twice together and then headed over to give Wicked a try. Then we went and got Joe.

Joe had decided he was not going to ride Wicked, but he said he would try Colossus if I road with him. I could tell he was really nervous and the entire ride he was holding on for dear life. When the ride came to an end. He breathlessly repeated. "I survived, I survived."

By the end of the day Josh was getting to be a little daredevil too. He started holding his hands above his head on Bombora and when we rode The Tidal-wave together he held his hands up then too. I had one hand on josh, because I was afraid for him.

We had so much fun at Lagoon, and I am so glad my family went with us. I have to say a big thanks to Jon for being willing to be Emily's ride buddy for most of the day. She loves all of the big scary rides and had so much fun.......and Jon, I am really sorry you ended the day with motion sickness.

Thank you Grandma and Grandpa for the fun day at Lagoon, and thanks Grandpa for staying until the park closed.

1 comment:

Andy and Ellen Family said...

If I would have known you were going to Lagoon I would have sent Scott and Matthew down with Mom and Dad! I'm glad you all had such a good time!