Monday, April 5, 2010

Wild Easter Activities


On Saturday Grandma and Grandpa invited us to a Where The Wild Things Are Easter Party. The invitation requested that everyone come dressed as a wild thing. So we pulled out the Halloween box to see what we had. Joe wanted to be the wolf, and Josh wanted to be whatever Joe was going to be. The problem was, we only had one of each costume. So Josh was left to choose from a horse, a dragon, or a dinosaur. He eventually chose the dragon, but he was not happy about it until we got to the party.


Emily could not find anything she liked in the box, so she decided to make her own costume. I think she did a pretty great job.



Grandma had a couple of games planned and an Easter Egg Hunt. The kids had so much fun, and loved picking prizes out of the prize basket after the games. Emily won a special prize for her costume. After the games we had a yummy dinner. Then, while Dad, Grandpa, and Uncle Kevin went to the Priesthood session of conference,we watched Where The Wild Things Are.


The newest member of our family, cousin Asher, also came to the party. My kids are so excited to have a cousin on this side of the family. We have seen him a couple of times before this, but Valerie has never really paid attention to him. At the party she realized that she had a friend there her size, and started trying to get him to play with her. It was really cute, and she was showing him all of her fun games. At one point it looked like she was showing him "Patty Cake." She kind of shook her hands together, rolled them and then threw them in the air. I think that was what she was doing, but she had never done it before and has not done it since. It looks like Asher and Valerie are going to be good friends.


Easter morning the kids woke up and found their Easter baskets. Once the baskets were found the day easily turned from the commercialism into a day of celebrating Christ. We read the Easter story in the Scriptures and then took the opportunity to talk to our kids about it and how grateful we are for Christ and the Atonement.

I love it when General Conference is on Easter. It seems so much easier to stay focused on Christ throughout the whole day. I am so grateful this Easter season for my family, and for all of the blessings we have been given. We have been very blessed this last year with the Spirit of comfort and peace in our home as we have gone through the trials of unemployment. I know that Christ and our Heavenly Father knows our family and loves us. I have felt his love and seen the many blessings we have received. While we are not at the end of this trial yet, I have come to know that there is a plan and that the Lord is in charge. I am so grateful for the gospel in our lives.
Happy Easter.


4 comments:

Mike and Shelby said...

That is SO cute! What a fun grandpa. We still haven't seen the movie. Poor Josh, he just idolizes his brother. When I can, I usually buy two of most everything I buy... sometimes three knowing I'll have more kids. But, I guess, in the end it is good for the kids to be individuals and make their own choices. (I know Lauren wants Brooke to do that a lot!)

Laura said...

What a cute creative idea! Makes indoor Easter even more fun!

Andy and Ellen Family said...

What a cute idea for a party. Tamara is so creative. I'm glad you had a great Easter. I would have to agree with the General Conference on Easter. Maybe that's just because being the chorister I won't have to deal with everyone's kids hyped up on sugar!! Just kidding. It was nice to be able to listen to conference on such a special day.

Our family chaos said...

Sounds like a great Easter! That is so cute Valerie discovered a friend!