So I was really discouraged when we went to the doctor and she informed me that they have done studies and now believe that you should not give babies anything including cereal until 6 months. She also said that with my other children's history of allergies, reflux and eczema, I should follow this advice for Valerie.
So like a good mother I tried to follow the doctors advice. As the days past I could see Valerie getting hungrier and hungrier. She was demanding to eat more often and for longer periods of time. And after eating for as long as an hour she was still demanding more. Once again I found myself on the couch all day while the dishes, laundry and clutter began to pile up around me. My baby, who had always been so good and patient, was becoming more demanding and crying a lot more. She was also not sleeping as well. instead of taking a 3-4 hour nap in the afternoon, I was lucky to get 20 minutes. She had been sleeping through the night since she was a month old and now was waking up to eat in the middle of the night. The other kids were whining a lot more because I was not getting dinner ready on time, and when little boys are hungry they are not happy either. I had to choose between crying baby or crying kids.
I kept hoping that it was just a little growth spurt, but everything was getting out of control and with three other kids to take care of I had to do something. I decided not to listen to the doctor and give Valerie cereal, because it was obvious that she was starving.
Thanksgiving day I gave her a little cereal before bed. To my dismay it did not help. She did not go to bed until 2:00am and was back up at 4:30am for another feeding.
I am a huge fan of breastfeeding. I think there a big benefits to it. I had not been able to breastfeed Josh because he had reflux so bad, so I was really happy when Valerie took to it so well. But, it was not satisfying her anymore, and for the whole families sake something had to change.
Then came the "Ah Ha Moment". I don't know if I just hit a moment where the little sleep I did get, recharged my brain enough to think, or why my thinking was so screwed up, but I remembered when my friend told me that her son was still hungry after feedings. So to satisfy him she gave him a few ounces of formula at the end of each feeding. It dawned on me that it didn't have to be just breastfeeding or just formula, I could do both. In the back of my mind I knew this, but for some reason I was feeling like it had to be all or nothing. Maybe because that is what happened with Josh.
So yesterday I started giving Valerie a little formula at the end of her feedings and everyone seems to be a lot happier. Valerie is back on her normal sleeping schedule and not crying more than a normal baby should. I am happy, because I feel like I did more than sit on the couch today, and my house is starting to get back together. The other kids are happy, because I am able to pay more attention to them, food is ready on time, and now they can help feed Valerie.
I guess even with the fourth baby there are still new things to learn.
It is so true that every kid is different.

6 comments:
I had the same problem with Rachel, and started giving her formula after breastfeeding. After a week of that, she stopped breastfeeding because it was easier to eat from a bottle. Good Luck!
I do worry about that a little, because I know that can happen. It has only been a few days, and so far so good.
Your doing great Hillary just always make sure to nurse and get everything out before you offer the bottle. I loved snuggling and playing with Valerie the other day! She is sooo cute!
Oh and I wanted to add they do go through growth spurts and nurse a lot to build your supply (forget to tell you that on phone). So make sure she is still nursing often. Now your are going to have to call me because this is too vague.
She is such a sweet baby! I did formula every other feeding during the day and formula as the last feeding of the night with Brooke exactly because of that reason! Formula made her a little fuller and made her happier and sleep better! Breast feeding IS best, but if the formula makes the situation better for everyone else in the family, then I say go for it!
I think that's great. What great bonding time for your kids with Valerie and look at those cute smiles! What could be better than a little sanity! Even if she does decide the bottle is what she wants all the time you've nursed through the most important part.
Post a Comment