Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Happy Unbirthday

With the weather changing as much as it has we can't count on everyday this summer being a nice outside day. So we have been trying to find things to keep us entertained inside on the rainy days.



Joseph saw this cake on the back of a cake mix a few months ago and has been planning to make it ever since. When I did the grocery shopping for the week I picked up some M&M's and we decided to give it a try. Emily had learned how to bake cakes as a homework assignment in school so she mixed up the batter for us. Then we all helped frost and decorate it. As you can see by Joe's face there was also a lot of tasting going on. When we were finished Joe commented that it looked like a birthday cake so we decided to have it be our Unbirthday. We lit the candle and sang the Unbirthday song from Alice in Wonderland. Then the boys took turns blowing out the candle, and then of course we ate the cake.
Happy Unbirthday!

4 comments:

Becky said...

What a great idea, we are the same always looking for ways to keep busy on the bad days. I will have to keep that in mind, I have seen that cake on a box as well, was it hard to get it to stay stacked?

Hillary said...

It stuck together really well because of the frosting but it was messy to eat. I think if I made it agian I would get the instructions online to see if there is a less messy way, but since we were just going to eat it I figured close was good enough.

Mike and Shelby said...

What a cute cake. (and a great way to spend a rainy day!) I love the bright colors.

Our family chaos said...

What a fun activity. Very clever. Turned out really cute!