At two a child is at a point where they understand a lot, and have more emotion and feelings, but they have not quite figured out how to express it so that the people around them will do what the child wants.
They are realizing that they can do many things on their own and that they have a choice (so they think) about how they want things. They start to try new things like helping mom water the plants and put soap in the dishwasher. The world becomes and even bigger place to explore and that can often result in big messes. No matter how baby proof your house is a two year old has learned to climb on things to get to the higher spots, they have learned to open the child locks and even use the DVD player. Your house is no longer safe.
If as a parent you tell them no or stop them from doing whatever it is they are doing then they will start to throw a fit. This unfortunately has also moved to the next level. Instead of just crying they throw themselves to the floor and scream as loud as they can no matter where you are. This can be triggered by simply putting their drink in the wrong cup, and if the child is tired these fits will come more often.
I started noticing signs of the terrible two's around 18 months, but we have definitely entered them now. All of my children have gone through this phase and it has not lasted too long. Emily and Joseph were a little cautious about where they threw them selves. Emily would usually just stomp her feet and scream, but Josh will throw himself down no matter where he is.

I thought after he threw himself down on the hard cement the other day that this might slow the fits down a little, but it has not. I try to just ignore them or pick him up and continue on our way, but sometimes I have no choice but to sit and wait for him to finish. Even though you cannot hear or really see it he is throwing a fit in this picture. It was one of those times where I just had to wait it out so I decided to document it with pictures. I got a few glares from other mothers while I did this, but the flash of the camera distracted Josh and the fit did not last long. This has to be my least favorite part of the terrible two's but like they say "This two shall pass."
I started noticing signs of the terrible two's around 18 months, but we have definitely entered them now. All of my children have gone through this phase and it has not lasted too long. Emily and Joseph were a little cautious about where they threw them selves. Emily would usually just stomp her feet and scream, but Josh will throw himself down no matter where he is.
I thought after he threw himself down on the hard cement the other day that this might slow the fits down a little, but it has not. I try to just ignore them or pick him up and continue on our way, but sometimes I have no choice but to sit and wait for him to finish. Even though you cannot hear or really see it he is throwing a fit in this picture. It was one of those times where I just had to wait it out so I decided to document it with pictures. I got a few glares from other mothers while I did this, but the flash of the camera distracted Josh and the fit did not last long. This has to be my least favorite part of the terrible two's but like they say "This two shall pass."

4 comments:
Lookis like I will be getting some calls to talk you down again! I think it's kind of funny you took pictures. Where were you at?
always when he is thru tell him you love him Aunt Sharol & Uncle Paul
I love that saying! Brooke has added a new dimension to the tantrums (and she's not even two yet!) She throws her head back at a 90 degree angle, THEN she falls back! I was so afraid she was going to break her neck! Thankfully, it DOES pass...not soon enough though.
I love the picture-and as a fellow mom, I think we should all embrace the idea of taking a snap shot in the middle of tantrum. My sister has suggested I record Brooke's ear-peircing scream and play it in her ears. (Believe me, some days I am tempted!)
I feel your pain, and will be living it with you in the very near future!
I feel your frustrations. Probably not as much as Jeanette though. Some of ours had terrible two's before two and after two.
Post a Comment