So when he had his check up in November I asked the doctor about it. She said it is called a spider telangiectasia. At some point he got a sore there and when his body tried to heal it, it formed a mass of blood vessels. She also said that it is common in children and will usually go away on its own. But because Joseph's bled occasionally she referred us to Dr Vanderhooft, a dermatologist, who said that because of the bleeding she would do a laser treatment on it.
So today was the big day. Ryan and I took Joseph to the University Hospital. Joseph was really good about it, but when we got to the operating room it was a little intimidating. I thought they would just do it in a regular exam room but it was done in an OR. It was kind of interesting to me, because I had never been in one awake before. The operating tables are a lot smaller than I thought.
We got Joe to sit on the table and he was fine with that. Then the doctor had everyone in the room put on blue glasses to protect our eyes. Then she asked Joe to lay down on the table. At that point he decided maybe he wasn't into this and so it took a little bit of talking to get him to do it. Then Dr Vanderhooft put ice on the spot for a couple of minutes and talked to Joe. Then she covered his eves with a blue towel and zapped the spot 4 times with the laser.
Joseph cried for a few minutes but everything went well. However, the new sore on his face is a lot more noticeable.

The Dr said that it will all go away in a few weeks. It does not seem to bother Joe. We have to keep band aids on it so he does not pick at it, and he seems OK with that. I asked him if I could take a picture of his face. He told me I could only take a picture if he could wear his sombrero that he made at school yesterday. (His shadow Josh couldn't stand not being in the picture too.)

6 comments:
Hillary!
I feel terrible I did not know you had this going on today. I feel like I talked to you most of the second part of the day and never took a minute to listen to you. What a lame friend I am. Glad the procedure went well and is now over. I too was amazed with how small and skinny operating tables were, especially when they wanted my fat pregnant body to lay on one exposed! My nephew has a sore like this on his eye and had it looked at by a specialist too.
Don't feel bad. It was such a minor procedure that I didn't really make a big deal about it.
I'm glad it's over with--poor little Joe! At least they didn't trick him by rounding up all the kids for the OR in a little red wagon...
Poor Joe...those operating rooms can be pretty intimidating-even for an adult. Glad he made it through all right. Cute picture of the boys.
Yah that little red wagon trick tore my heart out. They are all happy in the wagon until they realize you are not coming along. HEART BREAKING!!!
Glad Joshua is ok love Paul &Sharol
Post a Comment