Valerie is one of the most determined girls I have ever met. While sometimes this means that we are butting heads over things, it is also something that serves her well. At 23 months old she decided that she could use the potty just like her older siblings did. So she did. I was not even thinking about potty training her. I had not even mentioned it, but she did not like being messy and had decided it was time. I was very happy about this, because potty training is NOT my favorite thing.
Now Valerie is 4 years old and some of her friends have started learning to ride their bikes without training wheels. A couple of weeks ago we were outside and Valerie told me that she was ready to ride her bike without training wheels. I told her to tell her dad when he got home and he could help her. (Bikes are Ryan's department.) She said okay and rode off with her training wheels that were bent and probably getting in her way.
A week later we were outside again and another of Valerie's friends was learning how to ride her bike. Again Valerie came up to me and this time she demanded that I take her training wheels off. So I did thinking that she would get on, fall, and then cry and ask for them to be put back on.
Boy was I wrong!
She got on and rode it down the street like she had been riding it for a week. By the next day she was riding it like a pro.
I love this determination in her. She is never afraid to take the next step or speak her mind. While sometimes this can make it hard in the parenting department. I know it will serve her well through life.

1 comment:
Hillary -
I'm so glad you're back to blogging too!! I have been horrible at it the last year or so as well, and have found myself trying to catch up....that is not easy! I'm glad you're back as well....fun to catch up and see your adorable family. Cannot believe how grown up everyone is getting! Hope you guys had a wonderful Easter, and that you are well! Love you!
Post a Comment