Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Chef Joe

       These past few months Joe has discovered that he likes to cook.  At least when it means making a treat. 
     For the Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet the boys had to bake and decorate a cake.  The theme this year for our troop was "Lights Camera Action"
     The number one rule in the cake baking is Mom can not help at all.  Joe was happy about this.  He and Josh made and baked the cake all by themselves and then when dad got home he helped with the decorating.  They did a great job. 
     One of his favorite treats to make are lemon bars.  One Sunday I discovered that Joe had been asking his primary teachers for treats every week.  They have been remodeling their kitchen and had been telling the boys in their class that when it was completed they would bring them a treat.  So Joe and his friends asked them every week if this was the week.  One Sunday Joe made the mistake of bugging his teacher in front of me.  As his mother I was a little mortified at how rude my child was being.  So after church Joe and I had a little chat and he was given the task to make his teachers a treat.  I was going to make lemon bars that day anyway so I told Joe he could help me.  Instead Joe got out all of the ingredients and began making them himself.  I kept asking if he needed help,  but aside from asking me what Lemon Zest was he did it all on his own and they turned out great!


 His Primary Teachers were very happy to receive a plate of Lemon Bars.  Joe was a little embarrassed taking them to them, and I hope he learned a lesson,  But his primary teachers love him and I don't know if they would tell me if he was still asking for treats. 

Joe has made a few other treats for us since then and is becoming quite a little chef.  I like to encourage this.  He will be glad he knows how to do it in a few years when he doesn't live with mom anymore.   

No comments: