Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Decorating (and undecorating) for Christmas

This year I had lots of help putting up the Christmas tree. I wanted to try putting the lights on as we built the tree to see if that would be easier. I think it would have been if I did not have someone sitting on my lap and trying to do what she wanted to with the lights. We put the tree up Saturday night so that it would be ready for decorating on Sunday evening.


Sunday we brought out the rest of the Christmas decorations. The kids loved seeing their old ornaments and putting them on the tree. I was busy helping and forgot to take pictures so I had them stand in front of the tree when it was done.




Valerie was not happy. But when everyone went off to do their own thing Valerie took the Santa hat and started posing on her own.

So I had the other kids hurry and stand close to her. The picture came out a little blurry, but with a little photo shopping it is usable, and at least they are happy.

Valerie did not grasp the concept of hanging the ornaments on the tree. She liked looking at them, and playing with them.


We gave her a couple she could play with while we put the rest on the tree. When the tree was finished Valerie started looking around at everything and started undercoating the tree. The pine cones looked like balls to her and they were really fun to swing around.


She also really liked the train around the tree, but Josh was in charge of the train and he guarded it from Valerie like his life depended on it. He did not want his favorite Christmas decoration broken. Whenever she would go for it. Josh would run over to stop her.

Eventually Valerie spotted the Little People Nativity set and had a great time playing with it. It distracted her for the rest of the evening.

But the next morning she was back to the tree. I had forgotten about the rule with a Toddler in the house. All ornaments must be above the bottom two branches.

It is a good thing I loaded the bottom two rows with lights.

We are all decorated for Christmas, and can enjoy the festivities of the season.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! What an amazing Thanksgiving you had! SO glad your little one ended up being ok. I hate when they hit their heads.....scary! Love the Christmas decorating.....sounds like our house! Hope you have a Very, Merry Christmas!

Laura said...

Having a toddler in the house at Christmas is always "exciting". Good luck!

Mike and Shelby said...

I promise I have been reading your posts occasionally all these months, just haven't been good about commenting...this is one I did read. We love decorating for Christmas. It is so fun to see the house all red, green and festive....but then I love when January comes along and I get my house back. hee hee.

We have a Little People Nativity too. Love it.