Monday, May 10, 2010

A Happy Mother's Day

This Mother's Day was extra special to me, because it was the first Mother's Day in seven years that I got to spend it with my mom.

It is even more special because my mom has been cancer free for two years now. I will never forget how I felt when she called to tell me she had cancer. I will also always remember the feeling of comfort and peace the Holy Ghost gave me that everything would be OK. She went through many tough treatments including a stem cell transplant and there were many bad days. After the transplant she was really bad. She could not communicate well and was not very mobile. I wondered if my mom would ever be the same. I was amazed at her faith and strength.

I am so grateful to my sister Ellen, and my sister-in-law Amy for being there everyday to help my mom recover. Because my mom lives in a different state than me, I was only able to go relieve them for a week and I was amazed at all they did for her. I will always be in their debt.

I am grateful that my mom is doing so well and is still here for me to call and ask all of my silly questions to. I love you mom.
Jon and his family, and Ellen and half of her family also celebrated with us. We had a great dinner cooked by the moms, and then the men did the dishes. After dinner we all went out to the back yard and played a few games. Uncle Jon seemed to be the target of a lot of them. I think it was his green shirt.


My kids gave me lots of love and attention all day, and I got some great hand made gifts and cards. I love my kids and love being a mother. My kids are the best and I love them so much. They always keep me on my toes and laughing at the funny things they do. Being a mom is the best job in the world. I am so grateful I get to spend my days watching my children experience life, and discover who they are. I wouldn't trade this for anything.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy Mother's Day!! I can't believe your parents and siblings! Everyone still looks the same!! They look great! I know the feeling of getting the "cancer call." I had that with my Gma, there isn't a worse feeling. I'm so glad she is cancer free and doing well! Your sweet aunt sent my Gma a little something for Mother's Day. My Gma was thrilled! You have a wonderful family! So glad you had a fun day and were able to spend it with family!

Mike and Shelby said...

You got some wonderful pictures! Especially the one of your family! I know how much you love your mom and how much you worried and prayed for her in her battle against cancer. I remember how you wished you could do more. But I also remember you knowing it would be alright. Again, your strength and faith has always been so uplifting!

You are an amazing mom, I admire your patience, love and example! Happy Mother's Day!

Becky said...

Your mom is looking so great! Your family is so great, we really miss having your family live close. What a great Mother's day.