Monday, January 11, 2010

Stuffed Animals

Over Christmas break, Ryan's dad invited us to go to BYU to see the "Stuffed Animal" exhibit at the museum. I thought it sounded fun, and I was interested to see why a museum would have an exhibit of stuffed animals. (being the blond I am I was picturing Teddy Bears and Beanie Babies) If I had known he meant real, dead, stuffed animals, I still would have loved to go, but I think I would have prepared my kids a little better.




There are two things Ryan's dad has taught my children.

1. BYU is the best. (I know they learned this from their grandpa, because grandma, Ryan and I, are all UofU fans.)


2. Love the earth and be kind to the plants and animals.



Because grandpa has brain washed my kids they were really excited just to be going to BYU. They loved driving past the stadium and seeing where all of the sports are played. They were hoping that maybe we would go to a game while we were there.

Then we walked into the museum and I don't think the kids knew what to think.


When Josh got to this exhibit he asked why someone kill-led the duck when he just wanted to swim in the water. At that point we started making it a little more fun by playing Eye-Spy with them.

By the end of the visit the Joe and Emily were having fun looking at all of the animals. They thought it was really cool to see all of the wild animals so close up, and Joe turned into a wild animal himself.
Josh was a little disturbed by the whole thing, and I think he still is, because he does not even want to look at the pictures.
Emily was excited to find a cougar and wanted a picture of it with her in her BYU shirt.


Joe really liked the butterflies and the live black widow spider they had on display.

Shasta the Liger was my favorite. (I remember her at the zoo when I was younger.)

Because part of grandpa's job is protecting the Prairie dog, (it is threaten and endangered) we found it very amusing that every Prairie Dog in the museum was either being eaten by another animal, or about to be eaten by one.
Thanks for the fun outing Grandpa. It was very cool!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I told him that the kids would find it creepy. I'm glad they had fun. Don't worry about the BYU thing. We still have time to convert them. :)

Mike and Shelby said...

That is funny you were expecting stuffed animal dolls! :) Looks like it was a cool exhibit!

Andy and Ellen Family said...

Those are some pretty amazing displays! I really like the butterflies! Your kids crack me up. I love Joe's poses with the animals.