Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lucky Find

From the time Josh was a little baby he has always liked the color GREEN. If he gets to choose something he always goes for the green one. When he goes shopping with me he is always telling me to buy the stuff in the green packaging. If his green Pajama's are clean those are the ones he wears first. (Even before the Firetruck or Thomas pajamas.)
Last week I was making a cake and Josh wanted me to make it green. In fact if you ask Josh what his favorite color is he will always say GREEN.



Now that I am feeling better. We have taken on my least favorite task of raising a toddler.....
POTTY TRAINING!!!


Josh and I went and bought a potty seat and some underpants with his promise that he would use the potty if he had these items.


The next day when he woke up we put on his underwear instead of a diaper. This did not go over well. He did not wet his pants, but every time he used the potty, after he was done he would cry for a diaper.


So I resorted to the "Potty treat" reward system. His favorite treats are M&M's, so I gave him a few of those if he could used the potty. This was working OK. He stopped asking for diapers, but he still cried a little when I took him potty, and he was still not very willing to go. He was not wetting his pants, but I was having to force him into the bathroom.


Yesterday I had to do the weekly shopping and so I stopped by the M&M's to restock. To my surprise I found these bags of all GREEN M&M's. They were left over from Valentine's day and on sale for half price.

This was such a lucky find, because now Josh happily goes by himself to the potty without crying so he can get his GREEN M&M's. No one else is allowed to have any, and Josh watches as we get him some to make sure that we are not eating "His Green M&M's." I know some might look at this as bribery, but when it comes to potty training I say whatever works,
and this is working great!

5 comments:

Becky said...

That is so funny! The rewards worked for Logan. And well I don't mind being bribed every once in a while.

Mike and Shelby said...

oh, the look on his face is too cute! I say if 'bribery' works for potty training...USE IT! Glad to hear it's going so well...can I send Brooke over now too? She'll take ANY color m&m. :)

Larissa said...

Potty training is the worst! I say bribery is really the only way to potty train. If someone is successful another way, more power to them because I was not. We had skittles for potty treats and when I bought a big bag from the store Dalton told the checker, "those are my potty treats!" Proud as could be! Hang on to those green only M&M's. That's a precious commodity.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for bribery. Forget the parenting books! Those authors usually don't have more than one kid--or any kid at all! Looks like he's into the idea of green M&M's enough to view the toilet as a friend, not the enemy. Kudos to you!

Funny thing is, I almost posted something about potty training today. It kind of scarred me. And Calvin too, come to think of it.

paulsharol said...

next time you are in Vegas take them to the MM store