Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Keeping Busy In The Outfield

For the last couple of years Emily has been playing soccer. She likes it all right but she really only likes being the goalie. She does not think it is very fun running up and down the field all of the time. Emily is a great goalie and is not afraid to get in the way of a ball even if a foot is coming with it. One of her coaches nick named her the octopus because she did such a good job blocking the ball.


She also has a good time playing catch with her Grandpa and does a pretty good job throwing and catching the ball. So when It came time to sign up for spring sports we suggested that she might like to try baseball instead of soccer. I told her that if she is not afraid of a ball coming at her and she likes to run, just not all of the time, softball might be just the thing. With the game and practice schedules there is not enough time to do both so I told her to choose and let me know.

She ended up choosing Softball and last night was her first game.



When she went up to bat she hit the ball and got to first base. She was tagged out with the next hit, but the ball was hit straight to second base.

When the other team was up to bat Emily was positioned in the left field (between 2nd and 3rd base.) Not many balls made it her way, but she watched every hit to make sure she didn't need to go after it.
So when you have nothing better to do and you have to stay in one place you might as well find something to entertain yourself. I shot this video of Emily making the best of it. (Sorry the camera moves so much I was trying to watch what the boys were up to at the same time)



4 comments:

T. McArthur said...

Great job Emily and good luck!

Anonymous said...

I happened to be at that game and it was thrilling to watch Emily play ball. She has a natural talent and I look forward to seeing more games.

Emily, you rock!

paulsharol said...

we like baseball too Sharol & Paul

Mike and Shelby said...

Way to go, Emily! That's great that she's been exposed to different sports. (I agree with her-I'd want to be goalie too!)