Yesterday was one of our normal busy Tuesday nights. The boys had cub scouts and scouts, Emily and Veronika had Young Women's and Ryan was at the church for Bishopric meeting and helping with whatever else the bishop needed.
about 8:30 the kids started to return home from their activities. All coming in through the front door. By 9:00pm everyone was home except for Ryan. I sent the kids to bed and continued working on getting the kitchen cleaned up and updating my blog. (I am trying to catch up on posts I have missed.) Around 9:30 my next door neighbor texted me asking if Ryan was home yet, claiming to be looking for the bishop. I texted back no and continued to work on my stuff. Around 10:45pm I heard the garage door open. This was weird, because I knew that Ryan had walked to the church. At first I thought that maybe Joe had ridden his bike to scouts and had forgotten to close the garage when he got home, but then I heard the garage close and Ryan came walking into the house from the garage. Before I could ask him why he went through the garage, he asked me if I was playing some kind of joke on the kids the next morning for April Fool's Day.
I had no idea what he was talking about. So he told me to come look at the porch. When I opened the front door there were a bunch of balloons caged on the front porch with plastic wrap. Someone was playing an April Fools joke on us. I thought it was cute so I took a picture. We knew we were not supposed to see it until the morning, and I knew that my kids were going to love finding this in the morning.
Last September for pack meeting we had done a carnival type activity. My friend Allison Peterson's husband was the cub committee chair and they had donated balloons for decorations. She had a lot of balloons that she had bought for a fundraiser she did. The balloons were not blown up, but each balloon had a piece of paper with a number in it so when they did blow them up they were ready to go for their fundraiser. It was tricky to get the paper back out so we had just left them in and blew the balloons up with them. When I saw that the papers in the balloons on our porch had numbers on them I realized these were the same balloons. I also suspected that my next door neighbor who texted me was Allison's accomplice.
Ryan and I headed off to bed. I was excited to see what the kids were going to do when they found the surprise. The wind blew hard last night. Hard enough that it woke me up a few times. When morning came I peaked out the window to see if the joke had survived the wind. Much to my disappointment the balloons were gone. I guess that Karma decided to step in, because we discovered that the balloons had all blown over to my neighbor's yard (the one that helped) and popped.
That made the joke even better. I showed the kids the pictures I had taken. They thought it was great that someone would try to prank us like that. They also found it very funny to see where the balloons ended up. April Fool's Day is not something I get really into, but I love these kinds of jokes and we truly feel loved. Thanks Allison and Meredith for all of the fun. Happy April Fools Day!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment