For example, her clean clothes are usually on the floor because, she likes to pick out her own clothes, and get herself dressed. But often this results in most of her clothes on the floor, because she was looking for a certain item. (usually something pink.)
Most days I enjoy this new busyness It is fun to have a little helper with me at the grocery store. She loves pushing the little cart, and as long as I remember to put my foot up when I stop, it is not too painful to let her do it.

She always tries to add a few things of her own. I usually let her add one thing, and she is always good about leaving others on the self if I tell her no. But, it is usually because I point to the item already in the cart and have her chose which one she wants. There have been times when we find an extra item or two in the cart when we check out, but she does not seem to notice that they don't always make it home.
Valerie also likes to help me in the kitchen. She likes to stir the things in the pan, and sometimes she tries to add a few spices of her own to the dinner. I usually stop her, but with three other kids, sometimes I am not quick enough. The other night I was helping Josh with some homework and did not notice the items being added to the soup I had simmering on the stove for dinner.
Valerie had helped me make the soup by adding a few things that I told her to, and stirring it while I added others. When we were finished I put the lid on the pan and told Valerie that now we just needed to let it cook. I then went to help Josh on the computer.
While I was in the other room, Valerie got back on her stool and added an entire containers of Thyme, Cumin, and bay leaves to it. Needless to say we did not have that for dinner.
Another thing she likes to help me with in the kitchen is the dishes. What kid can resist a sink full of soapy water? She also helps me unload the dishwasher. She likes to hand me the plates and cups and have me put them away. She has been doing this for a few months, and I found this week she is getting a little more Independent in this job.
The other morning when I got out of the shower, I could hear dishes clanging in the kitchen. I knew this meant Valerie was "Helping" with something, but I could not imagine what. So I quickly got dressed, and ran out to find Valerie unloading the dishwasher and placing everything in it's appropriate pile, ready to be put away. I was a little surprised how well she had done.(and glad nothing was broken) The bowls, plates and cups were all in nice stacks. So I quickly put it all away. This turned out to be very helpful, but I hope next time she waits for me before she does it.
Valerie also likes to help me clean up. She is good at helping me put things away when I ask, and when I vacuum she gets out the old Swiffer mop and pretends she is vacuuming too. It does not have any soap in it, and Valerie likes that it makes a sound like a vacuum.


No comments:
Post a Comment