Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Great Mouse Trap

We have lived in this home for over 5 years now. It is a rental and there are a few things that we have fixed, but there are also a few things that we have just left how they are. One of these items is the floor boards. They are cheap and brown, and in a few small spots they are missing all together. One of these spots is the little space behind the door in the kids bathroom. The space is only about an inch wide, and makes it so you can see the gap between the floor and the bottom of the Sheetrock.

One day near the end of September, I picked Josh up from Kindergarten as usual. When we arrived home, he ran right into the bathroom. When he was finished he came out with a few questions. The conversation went something like this............

Mom you know that hole in the bathroom? The one behind the door?

Yes. What about it?

Well......Can mice be brown?

What!?

I know that mice are gray, but can they be brown?

Did you see a mouse in the hole Josh?

Well I don't know it had little ears and a tail, but it was brown. Can mice be brown?

I quickly went into the bathroom and started looking around. I was horrified. I have never had a mouse in my house before, and I did not need one now. I even told myself for a minute that maybe Josh didn't really see anything and it was just fine. But I knew he saw what he said he did. He had too many details about how it had come out from under the stool we have in front of the sink and ran towards the door. Josh was not sure if it actually went in that hole, or if it just went out into the hall.

To me it didn't really matter where it went, it was in the house. I called Ryan and told him to pick up some traps on his way home, and I went into major fall cleaning mode. I spent the next few days not just cleaning, but scrubbing out everywhere I could. I pulled out the fridge and the oven and cleaned out all of my cupboards. I watched for signs of the mouse. hoping that it had not been in my pantry. Luckily the only place I found droppings was behind my stove. We placed a nice pile of poison there and moved it back.

A few days passed and there was no sign of the mouse. The traps were not working. Than late one night I went into the kitchen and caught a glimpse of our friend over by the stove. By the end of the week we still had not caught it, so I called The landlord to see if they had any suggestions. They sent out a mouse person who placed bate boxes in a few places where we had had sightings of the mouse. I kept telling myself that it had to be only one mouse, because we were not finding droppings everywhere, and also because we had not caught any yet. It there was more than one we would have caught some by now.

Every day I kept checking for droppings in places. Especially my cupboards. Than one day I found some in my hot-pad drawer and my towel drawer. So I went through and cleaned everything again. And instead of putting my clean towels and hot-pads back in those drawers I placed bate boxes in them. As I moved the bate boxes around to the places that I knew the mouse had been, I noticed that one of them had been chewed on. But not enough to make me think we had more than one visitor. It gave me some relief to think that the mouse was eating the poison.

But then I began to wonder, how will we know when the mouse is really gone? Will it come out from hiding before it dies or will we never see it.

A little over three weeks after the first mouse sighting I was beginning to wonder if the mouse was gone. We had not had a sighting for days and the poison was being snacked on. That Saturday morning I had a hair appointment at 8:00am. As I drove home from my appointment I was thinking about what I could do that day to figure out if we still had mice. When I pulled into the garage the kids came running out yelling,

" We caught the mouse! We caught the mouse!"

I was so happy and I asked, "Which trap did we catch it in?"

Their reply was a little surprising to me. " It's not in a trap! We caught it under a bowl in the bathroom."

So I headed to the bathroom, and sure enough, there under one of my best Tupperware bowls was a mouse. Alive.

So I got my camera and took a few pictures while I decided what to do.

The story the kids told me was that they saw the mouse come out from under the fridge and head down the hall towards the bathroom. So they quickly got a bowl and caught it. I could tell that the mouse was suffering from the effects of the poison, and so it must not have been going very fast. But now we had a live mouse under a bowl. Ryan was at work, and I did not want to do anything that would cause me to accidentally have to touch the mouse.

I realized that Ryan's parents would be finishing up with their temple shift at any moment, so I decided to see if Grandpa would come take care of it for us. He was happy to.

He got a cereal box out of our recycle can and slid it under the bowl, keeping the mouse inside the bowl. The kids got excited at this point because when Grandpa did this the mouse started squeaking. When he brought it out I asked him how he was going to kill it. He told me that he was not going to kill it, he was just going to let it go outside.

At this point I remembered that Grandpa Bolander does not kill things. His job at work is to protect threatened and endangered species. Even when it comes to spiders he tries to catch them alive and release them outside. I told him he could not release it anywhere near my house, because then it would just come back in. Even if it was under the influence of the poison and going to die any day, I did not want it back in my house.

Joe did not want the mouse killed either, so he and Grandpa went for a ride and released the mouse back into the wild.
I hope our little visitor enjoyed his last days outside free in the wild.

Having one mouse caught and gone, we would now find out if we just had one visitor, or if we had a problem. Fortunately there have been no more mouse sightings. The droppings have not returned and we have been mouse free for a couple of weeks. I hope to stay that way for a very long time. The rest of my life if possible.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh man, this gives me chills! We have lived in our house 7 1/2 yrs and had our first mouse last year.....our neighborhood was invaded because of the empty field behind our house being developed. It was horrible. We caught mouse after mouse outside in traps around our yard. It gives you such a nervous feeling, doesn't it. I found myself nervous to open cupboards or doors!!! So glad you had a happy ending....and here's to no more mice!