Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Happy 5th Birthday Josh

For Josh's Birthday we invited a few of his friends over for a party.

We started the party off playing with pay dough while we waited for everyone to arrive.


Once the party got going we started into the action games. If there is one thing I know about little boys it is they like to be loud and wild, so that is what we did. They popped balloons to find prizes inside.

I was a little worried that Josh and his friends would have a hard time popping the balloons,
but they had no trouble at all.
Valerie was very upset they were popping the balls.

Then what would a party be without a silly string fight.


Valerie didn't like this much either, but the boys loved it.

After cakes and presents there was a little time left before the moms cam to pick everyone up, so I gave the boys each a punching balloon and let them go crazy.



Their favorite game was to try to get the balloon to go all the way down to the basement. They found this to be a challenge.
If you're thinking this party was similar to the one Josh had last year. It was almost exactly the same. Josh really likes all of these activities and when I asked him what he wanted to do for his party he didn't hesitate at all and listed off everything the same. I guess you shouldn't mess with a good thing.


After resting for a couple of hours we headed to Firehouse subs to have dinner with Grandma and Grandpa. Josh was excited to get a new fireman hat, and he wore his fireman galoshes. He loved the restaurant,


but was a little worried when he had to go potty. The bathroom doors were marked. "firemen" and "firewomen" Josh felt he fit neither one of those descriptions and did not know what to do. He was happy to find out he was allowed in the Fireman bathroom.



Because Josh is the younger of our two boys he is always trying to be as big as Joe. He tries to like what Joe likes and sometimes misses out on things he likes, because he does not think Joe likes them. So this year for his birthday Ryan and I took Josh alone to the toy store to let him pick out his gift.



Josh has always loved trains, but Joe says he does not and calls them baby toys. So Josh has been trying to let his love of Geotrax die, but deep down he really loves them. When ever I get them out Josh plays with them all day and loves every minute of it. (Joe plays too, but he won't admit it.)



One of the first isles we went to at the toy store was the Geotrax Isle. Josh was in heaven. We walked around the rest of the store with him and a few times his eyes lit up over something, but when I asked him if he wanted it he would tell me he wanted the train set more. So for his birthday Josh chose to expand his train set. Tonight when we set it all up, Josh was very excited. I have not doubt Josh will spend the entire day tomorrow with his trains. I also know that Joe will be right there with him when he gets home form school.



Josh is such a great little boy, and I feel blessed to have him in our family. One of Josh's gifts is his memory. He remembers people the first time he meets them. I am so bad at remembering names, so it always amazes me when Josh calls adults by name.

Something about Josh that always makes me smile is his need to fully understand what he is getting himself into. When we are going somewhere he likes to know all of the details of where we are going, how we plan to get there and what we are going to do while we are there.


Whenever I ask him to do a chore he always wants to know exactly what it is I want him to do. What his reward will be if he does it and what the consequence will be if he doesn't. And sometimes if he does not feel like the consequence is enough he will add his own.


For example.
Josh: Mom can I play the Wii?
Me: Is your room clean.
Josh: OOHHH. If I clean my room can I play the Wii?
Me: Yes.
Josh: And if I don't clean it I can't play the Wii and I have to sit on my bed.


I love that Josh is a planner and likes to know every detail of what we are planning to do. Even though Josh whines about doing his chores he is a great helper and usually gets his jobs done. I am grateful for Josh and I hope that this year he will continue to find friends and talents of his own and that he will have fun exploring and learning new things.

I Love you Josh. Happy Birthday!




3 comments:

Brooke :) said...

it looks and sounds like it was a great party! :)

Andy and Ellen Family said...

boys are awesome! They are so easy to entertain! I think it's great he wants to do the same thing every year. His birthday does only happen once a year!

Mike and Shelby said...

Happy Birthday, Josh! I adore that boy! :)