Saturday, July 3, 2010

No More Training Wheels

We have been talking to Joe about taking his training wheels off for a few months. After the bike ride on Friday he decided he was ready.
Monday night the training wheels came off Joe's bike.

Ryan had read is his bicycling magazine that the best way to teach a kid to ride a bike was to start on a grassy hill. That way they can learn to balance, and if they fall they don't get scraped up. (This is also a lot easier on the parents back.) This strategy had worked on Emily, so we headed up to the school. There is a nice hill there that ends on a nice flat ball field.

After a couple of times down the hill Joe was able to pedal into the field. Then after about 15 minutes of riding down the hill Joe had it. He was able to pedal and keep his balance, so they headed over to the pavement. He learned to start himself and to brake without falling over.


Joe is now on two wheels and we ended his riding lesson without any falls or scrapes. I am so proud of you Joe.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I leave the bike riding lessons to Alan. Jake learned at four but Lindsey not till 6. We are just getting the twins training wheels. You got to learn to pedal first.

Mike and Shelby said...

Look at Joe go! Getting rid of the training wheels is like a right of passage! That is exciting.

(So, is Josh ready to take his off too?)

Becky said...

That is great. It is so fun to see kids learn a new thing.

Andy and Ellen Family said...

I tried to get Timmy to take his off but he is still too afraid. Maybe next year? I don't know what I'm doing wrong both Scott and Matthew could ride with no training wheels right after they turned 4.