Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Good Intentions

I always have good intentions when it comes to visiting my Grandma and Grandpa, but I don't get out to see them as often as I should. They only live an hour away, and my kids love going to their house. This last year it seemed like every time I even thought about going for a visit one of my kids would get sick. As summer started flying by I decided it was time to pick a day and go for a visit. My brother Jon and I decided to go together because he was also due for a visit. (not as due as I was)



I love going to my Grandma's. The best description I have for her house is Better Homes and Gardens. She is always redecorating, Making handmade crafts, her gardens are always beautiful, and there is always yummy food to eat. (Even if it is warmed up leftovers.) The past few years she has had to slow down a little because of her Arthritis, but she still has her projects.


That morning the kids ate a big breakfast, got dressed and then we headed to Grandma's house. She always has a few jobs for us to help her with and Emily is always excited to do them.


This time we helped her cut back her flowers that were done for the season and weed in her garden. Joshua and Joe helped by putting the cut flowers in the garbage.


Emily was able to find a few good daisies and made a bouquet out of them.




The kids were doing great when we got there, but by lunch Joseph was not acting like himself and didn't want to eat. I touched his head and it was burning. I realized that as hard as I tried to only bring healthy kids to visit, Joe was sick. Hoping that I did not already infect everyone. I hurried and got my kids in the car and headed for home. The good news is Joseph never really had any other symptoms but a fever. I don't know what it is with my kids and my grandparents, but maybe next time we will be able to visit without illness.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I am that way with Jacob's Parents. I always think of driving to see them and yet the days go by and some how it just never works out. I am happy to see that you went and hopefully every one else stays good and healthy.

Laura said...

Sorry Joe got sick. I totally could have written this post a year ago. I went on Halloween (remember my twins ate my grandma's pills) and then I could not go for months because one or the other was sick. In the end, as you know, I lost my Grandma. I know I can't change the past. But I understand why you want to get out as much as possible. I miss having that now.

Laura said...

Oh and I wish I would have skipped more things to go... One time we skipped church and had a wonderful family day seeing my Grandma and visiting the SL temple. I let it make me feel guilty but now its a wonderful memory for me. I should have given up other (what seemed pressing) things and gone out more.

Sorry... I have regrets I guess and your post made me realize it.

paulsharol said...

grandparents or special enjoy them while you can even if the kids get sick glad they enjoyed their stay

Mike and Shelby said...

Good for you for making the time to visit your grandma! She sounds like a little spitfire! (The best kind of grandma to have.) Hope Joe feels better soon.

Bret and Sarah said...

Hahaha...I'm still smiling about Joseph wanting to be a skydiver when he grows up! It just makes me think of that song he always would sing when he swings on the swings. "I believe I can flyyyyy, I believe I can touch the skyyyyy..." so cute!

I've decided not to go back to work. I would've been quitting when I had the baby anyway, and it's just really hard for them to switch teachers after the year has started. What will Joseph be doing? Will he be back? Who are his teachers??